Searching for a Job in Architecture? 5 Expert Top Tips
Here at Highfield we pride ourselves on the unrivaled service we provide. We understand that securing a job in architecture can be pretty overwhelming, so that’s where we come in. We want to relieve stress and help you showcase your skills in the best possible way to get you in front of some of the most prestige consultancies around.
Kelly Vidler, our specialist Recruitment Consultant has put together her top tips to help you in your search for the perfect role.
1. Find the right recruiter
With lots of recruitment agencies out there it can be hard to know where to start, and picking the wrong agency could actually slow down your job search. Pick an agency with a consultant dedicated to architecture – this shows they are a real expert in their field. Thinking of going the job search alone? Well here is what a recruiter can do for you:
– Help format CVs – recruiters know what the clients want to see and what CVs get noticed, we can help you present your skills in a way that everyone will want to meet you.
– Listen – a good recruiter will listen to exactly what you want, they won’t pressure you in to roles that aren’t a good suit.
2. What do you want
In order to find you your dream job, it is important for you to establish what it is you’re after. Talk to your recruitment consultant about what you enjoy, what motivates you and where you see yourself – they will know the ins and the outs of practices and be able to find one that is best suited to you!
3. Keep up to date
Our website is updated regularly with the latest architecture jobs, but to make it even easier it is worth signing up for email alerts so the latest architect jobs are sent straight to your inbox. You can also stay ahead of the competition by following our Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter.
4. Review your CV / Portfolio
It is important to showcase your ability in the right way. Keep your CV simple and use it to detail your experience and skills. Your portfolio should be a balance between great design ability and practical experience, include examples of your strongest work. Remember, presentation is incredibly important; after all you are in the business of design.
5. Prepare for interview
You’ve secured the interview so now you need to ensure you impress.
– Do your research – find out information about the company and projects they have completed.
– Confirm where the office is and don’t be late
– Check out their social media pages so you can get a feel for the practice and update yourself with the latest news
– Interested in the role? Then show it! Ask questions about the company, it’s culture and the work to show you are interested.
Follow these top tips and you’ll be one step closer to securing your next role. If you have any questions, or would to discuss the opportunities we have within the architectural industry then please contact Kelly Vidler on 01489 774 010 or [email protected].